I love my slow cooker. The funny thing is my Mom has heard about me using it for years, so last Christmas, she apparently told my Dad that she wanted one. So, to my surprise she received one for Christmas. Presently it is almost the middle of November with Christmas being only 47 days away, and she has yet to use it. Years ago, I purchased a 2-quart one for our RV, which was too small. All I could get in it was two very small chicken thighs. It sounded good in theory. I ended up donating that to the local thrift store and just packed my home one when planning on traveling. Some recipes require the protein to be browned first. So MIL told me that her daughter had that kind. MIL decided to get me one like that, that is until she saw the price. It was then decided that she would get me a 6-quart one that had a 5 settings. The plan was to take the existing 5-quart one and stow it in the RV. That worked out a lot better as I didn’t have to remember to bring it with us when we were traveling. It’s great to go sightseeing all day and come back to the RV to a hot home cooked meal.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 short ribs
- 1 large sweet onion
- 1/2 cup cream sherry
- 2 clove garlics (minced)
- 1 bell pepper (red)
- 2 zucchini (cucumber size)
- 1 yellow squash
- 32 ounces spaghetti sauce (red)
- 1/2 teaspoon basil
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- In a skillet add olive oil.
- Brown the shorts ribs on all sides on medium high heat. (Place a screen on top to reduce spatter).
- Slice onion and add it to slow cooker.
- Dice zucchini, squash and bell pepper (remove seeds and stems) flesh then add on top of onion.
- Add sherry and garlic
- Place browned short ribs on top of vegetables.
- Add spaghetti sauce on top of everything.
- Add basil and oregano.
- Cook on low for 8 hours.
- Serve with mashed potatoes or pasta..
Preparation Time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hour, 20 minutes