Photo by Copyright 2014 Deborah Kaplan
This is time-consuming but well worth the effort. After serving it, you wonder why you didn’t double the recipe in the beginning as it is so tasty. I am sodium conscious and I don’t add extra salt to my recipes as a rule, especially if I am using an ingredient that has salt already in it. In this case the cheese has 180 mg per 1-ounce serving. So since I used 4 ounces of cheese, the amount of sodium in the whole dish is 720 mg divided by 6 servings is 120 mg per serving.
- 5 cups onions (sliced sweet)
- 2 tablespoons butter (salted)
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup milk (I used 1%)
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon butter
- 4 ounces extra sharp cheddar
- Place sliced onions in a microwave safe container and microwave them for 2 minutes, then stir them.
- And then microwave them for 12 more minutes in 2 minute intervals stirring them after each interval.
- Add two tablespoons butter to skillet on medium high heat.
- After butter melts add onions to the skillet.
- Saute onions for 30 minutes stirring enough that they don’t burn.
- Remove from heat, set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Use remaining butter to grease a 8″ pie plate or a 8″ shallow square baking dish. (I used a deep dish one which was too deep.)
- Add eggs, milk, cream, and nutmeg to a bowl and whisk until a uniform color.
- Mix cheese in to egg mixture.
- Place onions in baking dish.
- Pour egg mixture on top of onions.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Broil for 1-2 minutes.
Preparation Time: 15
Cooking Time: 77 minutes
Servings: 6 (There are three of us, and both MIL & DH came back for seconds, leaving one serving left which I had for lunch the next day!)