The photo above shows this recipe without the mushrooms. My favorite vegetable is the sweet onion, whereas DH likes mushrooms in everything. Weird thing is I went through a stage of about 10 years when I didn’t care much for mushrooms. For 35 years DH has been pestering me to add mushrooms to Philly cheese steak sandwiches. So you could have knocked him over with a feather when I finally relinquished and said fine. In the recipe below I have used several different mushrooms depending on what I have been able to buy.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 short ribs
- 3 cups onions (diced)
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup cream sherry (sweet)
- 6 baby red skin potatoes (1-inch diameter)
- 1 red bell pepper (diced)
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 2 cups sliced mushrooms (baby portabella)
- 12 ounces barbecue sauce
- Brown short ribs in olive oil in a skillet on medium high heat.
- Turn slow cooker on low heat.
- Slice and dice onions, then put them in 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cut potatoes in quarters, then add them to slow cooker on top of onions.
- Add broth, sherry, Worcestershire sauce, and bell pepper pieces.
- Place short ribs on top of bell pepper, and place garlic on top of short ribs.
- Place lid on and cook for 6 hours.
- Add butter to skillet sautéing mushrooms for about 15 minutes.
- Add mushrooms to slow cooker, then add barbecue sauce on top.
- Place lid back on slow cooker and cook for another 2 hours.
Preparation Time: 30 minutes
Cooking Time: 8 hours