We love shrimp. When we were down on Jekyll Island, Georgia back in 2009, we dined on shrimp fresh off the shrimp boats. It was the freshest, most succulent shrimp we have ever had. However, at home in New Jersey, the shrimp I buy in Sicklerville is frozen. I hate to clean and especially devein them, so I was extremely excited to see a bag of them cleaned and deveined! DH is lazy, in the fact that he doesn’t like to work for his food. So prior to cooking the shrimp, which I have defrost in water, I remove the tail shells. I have to admit that consuming the shrimp is a whole lot easier and less messy by having the tail shells removed ahead of time.
My Shrimp Scampi
- 26 raw extra large shrimp (cleaned, deveined)
- (Large Paper Plate)
- 1 cup diced sweet onion
- 6 tablespoons salted butter
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic (I use the jar variety)
- 1/4 cup light cream
- 1 tablespoon dill weed
- 2 tablespoons chives
- 2-cups cooked rice
- If using frozen shrimp, defrost in water, and then pat dry on paper towels.
- Add diced onion pieces to microwave safe dish with 1-tablespoon butter and microwave for three 2-minute intervals (total of 6-minutes) stirring after each 2-minute time.
- Remove tail shells on shrimp.
- Place all the shrimp on the large paper plate.
- In skillet on medium heat, melt rest of butter and sauté onions for 5-minutes stirring frequently.
- Add garlic and saute it for a minute stirring frequently (don’t let it brown).
- Remove onions, garlic and butter from skillet and set aside.
- Turn heat up to medium high.
- In 1-2 minutes the butter left in the skillet will begin to bubble.
- Slam dunk the shrimp on the paper plate into the skillet (This allows the shrimp to all cook at the same time).
- Sauté shrimp for 3-minutes, then quickly flip them all over. (I use a spatula pancake flipper).
- Sauté other side of shrimp for about another minute.
- Drain any water from the skillet.
- Add onions, garlic and butter back in to the skillet mixing with shrimp.
- Add light cream stirring for a 1-2 minutes more, turn off heat.
- Add dill weed stirring it in.
- Serve over rice.
- Garnish by sprinkling chives on top.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes; Cooking Time: 20 minutes;
From the kitchen of http://www.acadia2.com