Well, the end result of our labor of pulling the pork was amazing to say the least. The pork was delicious tasting, tender and succulent. The onions that were cooked in the apple juice and sherry were an added bonus to our sandwiches.
- Two cups sliced sweet onions
- 8 pound pork shoulder Boston butt
- One garlic clove (rough diced)
- 1 cup sweet cream sherry
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 12 ounces apple juice
- 1 cup barbecue grilling sauce
- 8 ounces apple juice (if needed)
- 14 hamburger buns
- 14 dollops grilling sauce (to taste)
- Pre-heat oven to 200 degrees F
- Place sliced onions in bottom of a deep sided roasting pan.
- Place pork shoulder on top of onions.
- Add sherry, chicken stock and apple juice.
- Cover tightly with aluminum foil.
- Roast for 4 hours, and then turn roast over.
- Roast another 4 hours and turn the roast over.
- Check fluid and if it needs more add additional cup of apple juice.
- Roast for 2 more hours covered and then remove onions.
- Continue roasting for another 6 hours covered.
- Check fluid.
- Turn roast over, and cook for another 6 hours covered.
- Remove roast and let cool for an hour, reserving pan drippings.
- Trim off fat.
- Use forks to pull the meat apart.
- I cut the roast in half to make it easier as my DH and I each had 1/2 of the roast to pull the pork from.
- Once pulled, Mix a 1 cup of the apple juice mixture from the bottom of the pan with the pulled pork.
- Then add 1 cup of grilling sauce and mix well.
- Microwave onions 1 minute to warm up.
- Divide pork mixture into 14 equal portions, fill the rolls and top with onions.
- Spread a dollop of grilling sauce on each roll.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 22 – 24 hours