I love this recipe, and unlike the original one from my childhood, it is comfort food in my opinion. It can be served over rice, egg noodles, couscous, mashed potatoes, polenta or mac and cheese. Your choice.
- 3-4 chicken thighs (bone-in with skin)
- 1 sweet onions (large)
- 2 orange bell peppers
- 2 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (to taste; if using canned tomatoes, I omit the salt)
- 1 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 28 ounces Italian crushed tomatoes (I use canned)
- 1 tablespoon oregano (dried)
- 1 tablespoon thyme (dried)
- 1 tablespoon basil (dried)
- 1/4 cup sherry
- Microwave slice onions for 3 minutes.
- Place sliced onions in bottom of slow cooker.
- Turn it on low.
- Dice up bell peppers in bite sided pieces, and add them on top of onions.
- Add chicken thighs on top of peppers.
- Add sherry, Worcestershire sauce, crushed tomatoes, oregano, basil and thyme.
- Add salt if not using canned crushed tomatoes.
- Place lid on slow cooker and cook on low for 6-hours.
- Remove chicken, and continue to cook the remaining ingredients for an additional 2 hours.
- Remove meat from thighs. ( I personally do not like non crispy chicken skin, so I discard it along with the bones).
- Set chicken aside in refrigerator.
- Turn off slow cooker on warm and add the chicken.
This recipe is true comfort food.
Preparation time: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 8 hours